How do I file a workplace discrimination complaint?
Depending on the precise nature of the discrimination, you may file your complaint with the Georgia Commission on Human Relations, the federal Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), or both. Your claim is investigated by the agency, and then you may proceed to a lawsuit in state or federal court. Attorney John P. Cole helps you understand how to file your complaint and represents you in both the administrative process and in the courtroom.
When am I entitled to overtime pay?
Georgia overtime pay is dictated by a combination of the federal Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and Georgia state law. Hourly laborers in Georgia are entitled to overtime pay, at a rate of one and a half times their regular pay, for working more than 40 hours in one week. However, many salaried professionals with certain job responsibilities are exempt from overtime pay. If you are unsure about whether you are entitled to overtime, contact the Law Offices of John P. Cole.
How much may I win if I sue my employer?
This depends on the situation. The rule of law states that you are entitled to compensation which will make you whole, with the understanding that you would have been whole if not for the discrimination. Settlements and directed verdicts may include awards of: Back Pay, Compensatory Damages, Promotion, Reinstatement, Front Pay, or Reasonable Accomodation.
I own a business—can I afford to have an employment lawyer?
The legal needs of a business owner do not stop when the company is purchased or formed. Maintaining a labor force within the law is an ongoing process. When you are just getting started, you serve yourself well to form a trusting relationship with an experienced employment lawyer. Take a positive step toward success and schedule an initial consultation with Attorney John P. Cole.
Is it possible to dissolve a partnership without serious financial losses?
The dissolution of a business partnership or relationship must be addressed by a skilled and creative Georgia business litigation lawyer, seeking to avoid a costly dispute through negotiating reasonable terms. Although the parties involved are often unwilling to negotiate initially, creative intervention early in the process can assist in avoiding litigation. In some cases, taking the case to court is unavoidable, and ensuring that you have the full support of a skilled legal professional can allow you to proceed into court with confidence that your interests will be represented professionally. John P. Cole's case development and presentation on his clients' behalf is comprehensive and will serve you well in either case.
What should I do if I think I have been discriminated against in violation of the law?
It is usually a good idea to bring your complaint directly to the attention of the employer and attempt to resolve the problem on an informal basis. The employer may not be aware that there are individuals within its organization who are discriminating, or the employer may want to address your complaint and fix the problem. If, however, you want to pursue a legal remedy, you should get expert advice and act relatively quickly. Anti-discrimination laws have strict time limits for making a claim. The federal laws require employees to file a complaint first with the EEOC before filing a lawsuit in court. In some circumstances an employee is also required to file a complaint with the state agency charged with enforcing the state anti-discrimination laws.
What is estate planning?
Estate planning is a process to consider alternatives for, to think through, and to set up legally effective arrangements that would meet your specific wishes if something happens to you or those you care about. Good estate planning is more than just a simple Will. Estate planning also typically minimizes potential taxes and fees, and sets up contingency planning to make sure your wishes regarding health care treatment are followed.
What is an estate?
The term estate consists of all the property a person owns or controls, whether in his or her sole name, held in a partnership, in a joint ownership arrangement, or through a trust, and all other monies that would be generated on the person`s death, such as through life insurance.
When should I start my estate plan?
The only time that you can prepare and implement an estate plan is while you are alive and have legal capacity to enter into a contract. If you are unable to manage your own affairs or suffer from some other disability which affects your legal capacity, your estate plan may be effectively challenged by those who assert that you lacked capacity at the time the documents were created, that you were subjected to fraud, coercion or undue influence during the creation and implementation of your plan.
How do I know if I have a personal injury case?
Have you suffered an injury to your person or property? Was your injury the result of someone else’s fault? It is not always necessary to have a physical injury to bring a personal injury lawsuit, however, suits may be based on a variety of non-physical losses and harms. You also may have an action if someone has attacked your reputation, invaded your privacy or negligently or intentionally inflicted emotional distress upon you.
Do I have to give a recorded statement to an insurance adjuster?
No. You are not obligated to give a recorded statement, and if you do, it may later be used against you. If you choose to give a recorded statement, be sure to ask for a copy of the transcript.
What documents should I bring with me when I meet with a lawyer?
The more information and documentation you have, the better. However, if you have not collected the documents prior to your first meeting, do not worry. Your lawyer will be able to obtain them as well.